14 January 2012

Life History of Vera Taylor Huber- Part Two

I obtained this from.... hmm, I don't know. Likely my grandparents, but no interviewer is indicated on the copy I have. This is a transcript from my copy and the photos were inserted by me to illuminate the story a bit more.
Photos are from the personal albums of Clayton Huber and Rhea Huber Merkley.

Life History of Vera Taylor Huber (as dictated by her)
PART TWO

When I was thirteen years old, I had quite an experience. My girl friend and I had gone to town after the mail in a single buggy. The mail come only about twice a week and everyone would be there to get it as it had to be handed out. I told my friend to go in and get the mail and I would stay in the buggy and hold the horse. I noticed a strange fellow looking out the window and when he caught my eye, he would wink at me. I was quite bashful so I turned my head. Every time I glanced his way he would wink at me and grin. I think that was a joke with him but I was very embarrassed. I soon learned that his name was Roy Huber and that he was from Midway, Utah. Two years later, I started going with him. Most of our courting was done on horseback, that is to and from the dances or other places of entertainment. On October 22, 1924, we were married at Vernal, Utah by Wallace Calder.


Roy Huber on a horse.

The first few months of our marriage we lived in Midway, Utah, with Mother Huber. Roy worked in the mines at Park City and then in the spring we returned to Lapoint and lived in a two-room log house with a dirt roof. This was our home for about ten years and four of my children were born there. They were Vera June in 1925; Rhea LaVar in 1927; LeRoy Dean in 1929; and Doris Louise in 1931. During the winter of 1933 and 1934 we built us a new home and moved there on February 22, 1934. The following children were born to us after we moved to our new home: Dale Fielding in 1934; Larry Blaine in 1936; Clayton Shirl in 1938; Martin Taylor in 1947; and JoAnn in 1951. These last two children were the only ones that were born in the hospital.

Indicated as "House first built in Lapoint Utah, Dale and Larry posing"... and likely Vera's shadow being cast.

Although we enjoyed being in our new home, some of the happiest days we spent in our log house. We were engaged in farming and sheep raising. My husband's brothers, Frank and Elmer, and their families lived close to us and our children grew up together and were very close to one another . It seems that whatever was done, it was done in a spirit of togetherness. We all had good farms and we usually raised quite a large amount of grain and hay and always had a good garden. There were many times that we had hardship and encountered difficulties. I remember that for a period of about three years we suffered from severe drought. Each spring we planted our crops and didn't have anything to harvest when fall came. In spite of difficult times, it seems that we always managed somehow.

We, the three families, had many picnics together and many times Roy and I have taken the older children and have gone fishing in the mountains for several days. All the children had such good times together and at night they would play hide-in-go seek around the campfire. Their appetites seemed to increase when they were in the mountains and they consumed an enormous amount of food, but there was always plenty of fish to eat.

Mother Huber had been a widow for many years before Roy and I were married. She came to our homes and stayed many times. We always looked forward to her visits and were saddened by her passing on January 6, 1936.

Roy's mother, Margaretha, with grandkids Rhea and Kathryn (Huber cousin)

On December 26, 1941, I received the shocking news that my father had passed away from a heart attack. This was my parents' anniversary and I had spent the day with them and was so shocked when I received this news, for it seemed that I had just returned to my home after such an enjoyable day. Then on December 8, 1951, my mother died. She had been ill for some time and had suffered considerably. Della and I had been there and Della had just gone home and was going to come back so that I could go home to my family, for JoAnn was only about three months old. My mother died shortly after Della had gone and I have always felt grateful that I was able to spend the last day with both of my parents that they had here on earth. I feel that grandparents are important to their grandchildren for my two younger children have not had this association and have wondered why not and have always felt a little cheated.

Roy Taylor with grandkids.


Vera with mother Roxa holding one of her kids.

In January of 1943, our son, Dale, was taken ill and the doctors diagnosed that he had cancer. On August 18, 1943, he died and this seemed to be sort of a turning point in all of our lives. Dale was so patient and had suffered so much. He had developed a great faith in the Elders. When we were in Salt Lake, we stayed at my brother Ralph's home. Near his home lived a very wonderful, old, gentleman that we called Brother Knapp. Every night he came and gave Dale a blessing and then Dale could rest better. When we came home on May 30, 1943, after being in Salt Lake for a week or two, Roy had accepted the position as second counselor in the bishopric. He served as counselor to Bishop George Hacking and to Bishop L.J. Walker. Later he served as the Sunday School Superintendent.

The year following Dale's death, we received word that my youngest brother, Martin, was missing in action over Japan. The word was received on November 29, 1944, and my mother couldn't bring herself to accept this and always hung on to the hope that he may still be alive.

I have worked in the different organizations of the Latter-Day-Saint Church. I have worked in the Primary, Mutual, and taught a class in Sunday School. In 1953, I was sustained as President of the Lapoint Ward Relief Society. I served in this calling for about eight years. I really loved the work and I learned many things that have helped me in my home and with my family. I was released in October 1961. At this time, I was called to serve as an Indian Missionary and I am now the Relief Society President of the Bennett Branch of the Indian Mission. I have enjoyed this work here so far but it is a new experience and so different from my experiences in the ward.

In May 1956, our son Larry, was called to a mission in the Central States. We were all very happy and he went with our blessings. It was a wonderful experience for all of us. He returned home in June 1958 and we were happy to have him home again.

In July, the same year, Clayton received his call to go on a mission to the West Central States. Again we considered it a privilege to send one of our sons on a mission. I can truthfully say that the blessings of the Lord were with us while our boys were on their missions. When Clayton was released in September 1960, Rhea, Douglas, Roy and I went to the mission home in Billings, Montana, to get him. We had a nice trip and again encountered many enjoyable experiences. The meetings held at the mission home were some of the most spiritual and humbling and I don't know when I have enjoyed the Spirit of the Lord more.

At the present time (1986) we have 39 grandchildren and we love them as we do our own children. The twentieth grandchild arrived on my birthday and I really felt honored. My children have accused me of spoiling my grandchildren. Of course, this is strictly their opinion.

I believe the happiest day of my life was when we took our family to the Salt Lake Temple and had them sealed to us for time and eternity. This was on November 12, 1943.

I am so thankful for my good husband and my family. I am also very thankful for the testimony I have of the Gospel and for my parents and the teachings I received from them. I pray I might remain faithful until the end of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment